Saturday, February 9, 2008

My Very Special Valentine to February

I do enjoy February, the month when many seem to get the blahs. Although I see how the gray can be quite depressing at times, I find it perfect for snuggling and napping and slobbering and sleeping. While some curse the cold, I am glad to have a reprieve from the itchy skin that plagues me during the hot summer months. In fact, I find the cold very invigorating. I love to bound in the snow, chipping and shredding any sticks that have fallen from the tree in my yard, or maybe I get to go the field to play fetch for hours with my friends Rex and Riley. Nothing feels better than rolling around in the snow, cooling off everything, especially my giblets! The snow is also helpful for marking my territory because now I can see where I have already marked instead of just smelling it! It’s very convenient, especially when I claim the territory right off the deck and in every corner of the driveway as my own.
February is also an exciting month for birthdays in my family. This year has been especially busy because my grandpapas not only celebrated his birthday today, but we had a very nice dinner for him at my house last week when he was promoted President of his company! Although I don’t quite understand why he has to get up so early and work such long hours, I am very proud of him. I was happy to help host the dinner (especially since he and grandmamas had given me my favorite red rooster) but I did not like how much mamas and papas had to run the vacuum to get ready for the event. You see, it is very loud and sometimes it sucks the rug up and that makes a terrible noise. Furthermore, it disturbs my favorite sleeping areas (3 of the 4 corners of the couch) so I am forced to retreat to my chair or outside. It is not very pleasant for me at all, but I do enjoy it when the people arrive. I especially like to keep their feets warm under the table during dinner. I am a very good boy while people are eating at the table, but I do beg when they eat on the couches. (It is really just my way to encourage them to eat properly; however, my humans often ignore my promptings such as when to wake up , how much water to drink each day, and why it’s important to eat dinner early rather than late. Oh well. I do my best, and they are improving.)
Today we celebrated two very special occasions. My grandpapas had his birthday today, and so did my very special cousin K.C. She turned 16! I was very excited to turn three, so I can only imagine how much fun it is to turn 16! K.C. still has to finish her driver’s ed, and then I am sure that she will take me and my snister Sadie out for a spin! She is a very good driver I am told. Sadie and I enjoy riding in the car, although my aunt says that it’s bad for me to stick my head out the window. She says that it causes earaches. I say, some things are just worth it! But I digress. We had a very nice celebration at K.C.’s house, and I was so happy that I was invited. I was a very good boy during dinner, and I outlasted Sadie with the “stay” command. (Incidentally, I don’t really think of it as a command. I know it’s just mamas and papas way of instructing me how to be a good boy so that I get invited back to these very fun places.) Sadie and I had fun taking turns gnawing on one of her bones. I think that all of the people had fun, too. It was very nice to see everyone. Ever since I was a tiny puppy, K.C. has been very special to me. Even before I went home with my mamas and papas, I fell asleep on K.C.’s foot. Since then, we have been bonded. She is very nice, and I am very lucky that she is my cousin. I hope that she has a very happy birthday!

A happy birthday to my grandpapas, too! I didn’t get to take part in his celebration last night, but the leftovers that mamas and papas brought home last night smelled very good. I will have to beg as they enjoy their leftovers tomorrow.
TTFN! M. Bunn

No comments: